myriads of access to unknown pages on my server bring my server down (DOS?)

My apache was slowing down big time today morning and when I looked at the logs I realized that I've approx 10 page-requests per second from various ip's to pages that are not hosted on my server.

example:

buzzurl.jp 204.45.41.82 - - [10/Mar/2010:14:49:34 +0100] "GET http://buzzurl.jp/tag/firefox%20add-ons/200902 HTTP/1.1" 200 19620 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible
; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)"

the requested page and the source-IP are new in every line.

I know this "ghosts" from earlier logs and never knew why they were in my logs but I never thought about it, cause they were infrequently. But now I'm really overrun by these request.

So I wonder: whats going on here?  Is this a targeted attack? where are these requests coming from?

buzzurl.jp (from the above example) does not resolve to my host-ip, but thats not the issue cause the name is in the request-header. What worries me more is that my apache didnt give back a 404 like it should but a 200 !!??

How can that be?  I dont have a default-page running and when I reconfigure my client here so that buzzurl.jp points to my server and request buzzurl.jp then I get a 404.

So again: whats going on here? Why does my apache give my precious time to stupid request? does the request trick my apache?

As you can imagine I'm bit in a stress here, cause my "real" webpages are getting incredible slow and the requests dont stop and I dont know how I can block them.

Any idea or experience with this?

thnx
peter