From: Philip Wigg [mailto:phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 09 March 2010 19:57
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  RE: mod_proxy_balancer back end status check

On 9 March 2010 17:47, Edward Quick <Edward.Quick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Here's my configuration. After the 15 seconds timeout, the back end
> server (listening on port 8080 here)  returns a 502 page. Is there any
> configuration I can add to detect that beforehand, and get the
> balancer to redirect my request to the other server member?
>
> Timeout 15
>
> ProxyPass /HelloWorld/ balancer://tomcat/HelloWorld/ ProxyPassReverse
> /HelloWorld/ balancer://tomcat/HelloWorld/
>
> <Proxy balancer://tomcat>
>  BalancerMember http://localhost:8080 route=jvm001 redirect=jvm002
>  BalancerMember http://localhost:8082 route=jvm002 </Proxy>

You could try using AJP instead of HTTP between Apache and Tomcat, and use the ping parameter. Search for 'ping' here:-

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html

-- Phil

The information contained in this email is strictly confidential and for the use of the addressee only, unless otherwise indicated. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose to others this message or any attachment. Please also notify the sender by replying to this email or by telephone (+44 (0)20 7896 0011) and then delete the email and any copies of it. Opinions, conclusions (etc.) that do not relate to the official business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it. IG Index Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales under number 01190902. VAT registration number 761 2978 07. Registered Office: Friars House, 157-168 Blackfriars Road, London SE1 8EZ. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. FSA Register number 114059.