Re: Re: Can I have 2 httpd servers running on 2 different ports?

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 2:00 PM, LuKreme <kremels@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 24-Feb-10 10:49, Sheryl wrote:
>>
>> Instead, just have a different directory for each instance.  For instance
>>
>> /usr/local/apache -- where you install your software
>>
>> /opt/server1 -- first server
>>     bin, build, error, icons, include, lib, man, manual, modules,
>> mime-types, magic are links to equivalent in /usr/local/apache
>>     cgi-bin, conf, htdocs, logs are directories; conf should be a copy of
>> /usr/local/apache/conf
>
> What benefit does this give you over running VirtualHost?

(I wouldn't set up a second instance like suggested, but..)

1) You can load different modules in different instances
2) Separation of concerns
3) Different global configuration options
4) Different compile time options

For instance, on our reverse proxies, we run two instances of apache,
one handles SSL and runs prefork MPM, and one handles regular HTTP and
runs the event MPM.

Cheers

Tom