Suhosin vs. mod_security

After a recent php compromise of the www user on my web server via the Zen Cart "record company" exploit, I installed the Suhosin extension (patch was already there). Suhosin helped a great deal. It enabled me to block certain php functions globally and re-enable them on a per-vhost basis, as needed. Perhaps just as importantly, it logged violations, along with IP addresses, which not only enabled me to track down attackers, but also troubleshoot which vhosts needed which functions to work properly.

After having customers' content providers patch their respective Zen Carts and purging/disabling the several c99shells and other nasty scripts uploaded by kiddies, we found that the patched Zen carts wouldn't function properly and wasn't logging what part of Suhosin was blocking functionality. Neither Zen developers nor the Suhosin author responded to requests for a workaround for this.

Sadly, there doesn't appear to be any current development or support for the Suhosin extension, no forum or mailing list. This leaves one wondering what the best way is to manage php (and other) security on the web server. Does mod_security allow some of the same funtionality, and is there current support and development of it? What's the best current practive WRT Apache and php security?

TIA,

up@xxxx							    http://3.am