Re: Reverse Proxy incorrectly transform content

Hi Pongtawat,

We have worked on a similar issue with the Pentaho business
intelligence suite. If you are using Apache 2.2 + You can use
mob_substitute and have rules that change the domain name and fix
these issues.

I believe these issues are caused by dynamically generated URLs via
JavaScript etc.

Happy to share my configuration. Hope this helps.

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Pongtawat Chippimolchai
<pongtawat.ait@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Tom,
> Thank you very much for clarifying this. That explains why it work correctly
> if I save the page as HTML and let Tomcat serve it statically behind Apache
> reverse proxy. So, there must be something wrong with XWiki apps when
> working behind Apache. I have checked the request that was send to Tomcat
> and it seems ok. So, it might be something in the header or environment?
> Thank you,
> Pongtawat
>
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Tom Evans <tevans.uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Pongtawat Chippimolchai
>> <pongtawat.ait@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> > I'm using Apache to redirect request via reverse proxy to Tomcat on port
>> > 8080. On most of the pages, it will work flawlessly. However, on some
>> > pages,
>> > it seems that Apache will incorrectly modify the HTML content (IMO, as
>> > part
>> > of URL transformation). For example the following code:
>> > href="/Blog/CategoryRss?xpage=plain&amp;category=Blog.News" title="RSS">
>> > becomes:
>> > class="wikiexternallink"><a
>> > class="wikimodel-freestanding"
>> >
>> > href="http://wiki.knowledgesharing.in.th/Blog/CategoryRss?xpage=plain&amp;amp;category=Blog.News";><span

>> > title="RSS">
>> > with a mysterious span code inside href attribute.
>> > FYI, the original HTML validated as XHTML 1.0 Strict.
>> > I have no idea what cause this. Please help.
>> > My setting is as follow.
>> > Apache version:
>> > I have this issue with Apache on both Ubuntu 8.04 and 9.10, i.e. the
>> > following versions:
>> > Server version: Apache/2.2.8 (Ubuntu)
>> > Server built:   Nov 13 2009 21:58:02
>> > Server version: Apache/2.2.12 (Ubuntu)
>> > Server built:   Nov 12 2009 22:51:51
>> > The reverse proxy is configured as follow:
>> > <VirtualHost *:80>
>> > ServerName wiki.knowledgesharing.in.th
>> > ServerAdmin "admin AT knowledgesharing DOT in DOT th"
>> > ServerSignature Email
>> > ProxyPass / http://wiki.knowledgesharing.in.th:8080/
>> > ProxyPassReverse / http://wiki.knowledgesharing.in.th:8080/
>> > <Directory />
>> > Options FollowSymLinks
>> > AllowOverride None
>> > </Directory>
>> > </VirtualHost>
>> > The site is live, so you could try it at:
>> > http://wiki.knowledgesharing.in.th/Blog/ (via Apache reverse proxy)
>> > http://wiki.knowledgesharing.in.th:8080/Blog/ (direct to Tomcat, without
>> > reverse proxy)
>> > Thank you very much,
>> > Pongtawat
>>
>> ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse do not modify the HTML content of the
>> page. From the docs of ProxyPassReverse:
>>
>> Only the HTTP response headers specifically mentioned above will be
>> rewritten. Apache will not rewrite other response headers, nor will it
> [...]

Follow me on Twitter, http://twitter.com/mdevraj

"The secret impresses no-one, the trick you use it for is everything"
- Alfred Borden (The Prestiege)