Re: How to check that mod_deflate is enable ?

On 02/04/2010 11:20 PM, J. Bakshi wrote:
On 02/04/2010 05:16 PM, Philip Wigg wrote:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_deflate.html

There you will see examples of how to configure a mod_deflate log file
which is useful is you want to see what mod_deflate is doing.

A couple of things that tripped me up whilst configuring this recently:-

1. mod_deflate doesn't seem to play nicely with IE6. Google
'mod_deflate IE6' to see what I mean. We ended up disabling it for
IE6.

2. If you configure mod_deflate logging in the main host, but you've
enabled virtual hosting, your log file will be created but it will be
empty. You need to configure the log file inside your Virtual Host
block instead.

Cheers,
Phil.

Thanks to all responders. I ensure that mod_deflate is now enable in my
suse 11.0 server

/etc/sysconfig/apache2
---------------------------------

[.....]

LoadModule deflate_module /usr/lib64/apache2-prefork/mod_deflate.so

[......]

I have placed the following in httpd.conf

[.......]
<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml
</IfModule>
[.......]

and restarted apache. No error or complaining. But I have not found any
difference in access.log to see the presence of deflate. I admit I have
not change the LogFormat as awstats is running here and the LogFormat is
modified to support awstats. vhost logging is separated by vlogger here.

So I can see one of two options

1. mod_deflate is running but can't see here in log
2. mod_deflate is not running at all.

How can I go further to check it ?

thanks

Start by removing the IfModule directives.

Frank.