Runaway Apache Processes - Second Victim

I have been using Apache for several years without trouble on CentOS 4 originally, CentOS 5 now. Most of my applications are php/mysql and mostly Drupal.

FYI, I have run into a problem that sounds identical to Dan Bunyards thread here:
http://markmail.org/thread/pnmwmalsfe6c7j6c

Everything runs fine, then all of a sudden I have 12 or so Apache processes all trying to use 100% of the CPU and the system slows to a crawl. I can replicate the issue by running:
 ab -n 100 -c 25  http://example.com/

The problem seems to be getting worse (today, a hacker sent a bunch of urls to my server looking for phpmyadmin and that took me down). I have a very low traffic server with personal websites only. I have a busy day when Google crawls my system. I have about 1.5GB of ram.

List of some rpms I use:
httpd-2.2.3-31.el5.centos.2
php-5.3.1-1.el5.remi
php-mysql-5.3.1-1.el5.remi
php-mysql-5.3.1-1.el5.remi

I watch htop when it happens and the server seems to process everything fine for a while with httpd and mysqld using a good amount of cpu, then mysqld use slows and many more httpd processes start using some cpu. Then about 12 or so (never counted) httpd procesess use the cpu about equally and the server is nearly unresponsive. The memory was not exhausted.

I have tried many, many things in my configuration hoping I could figure it out. I do not know how to run straces or other developer type things, but I can probably figure it out if you give me some hints.

--
Sincerely,
John Thomas