Re: SSL Reverse Proxy

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 5:34 AM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas
<uhlar@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 26.01.10 15:28, Brian Mearns wrote:
>> I'm looking for some clarification on how to setup a reverse proxy
>> that supports SSL/TLS. My understanding is as follows (please correct
>> me if I'm wrong):
>> 1. Client connects with SSL, mod_ssl handles this
>> 2. mod_proxy handles generating a proxy-request to the configured origin server
>> 3. SSLProxyEngine should be set to on so that SSL is used to
>> communicate securely with the origin server.
>
> why to have SSL proxy in this case?
>
>> What if any of the original client's SSL information is then available
>> to the origin server? For instance, can clients still present
>> certificates to authenticate with the origin server, or will that need
>> to be handled by the reverse proxy? If this authentication is handled
>> by the proxy, can the information from the client certificate be made
>> available to the origin server?
>
> you can only pass such infromations in request variables and the destination
> server will hav to trust the proxy. The proxy can not sign the data with
> clients certificate - it would need the clients private key.
>
>> Will the proxy try to use the same SSL parameters (protocol version,
>> ciphersuite, etc) as the client did, or will this information otherwise be
>> made available to the origin server?
>
> no. it will do complete different ssl negotiation.
>
>> Ideally, I'd like the proxy to be transparent to both the
>> origin server and the client.
>
> why do you want the proxy at all in this case?
>
> --
> Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@xxxxxxxxxxx ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
> Micro$oft random number generator: 0, 0, 0, 4.33e+67, 0, 0, 0...
[snip]

Thank you both for the helpful responses.

To answer some of your questions:
I want a proxy because I have multiple servers running and I want them
accessible through the same address. So I just put the proxy at that
address and let it figure out which server to use based on the Host
header and SNI. I want it to support SSL connections from the client
because I want to support SSL connections from clients for all the
various reason a person might want to do that, notably privacy. I
don't care if it actually speaks SSL to the origin servers, but I
didn't know if that would make it more transparent, e.g., if there was
a way that the same parameters would be used or something.

It sounds like I can't get at the client SSL information /and/
maintain transparency for the backend servers, which is what I kind of
figured, I guess. I'm already using a module to set the REMOTE_ADDR
based on the X-Forward-For header, so I might try something similar to
forward relevant SSL information from the proxy to the origin servers
in HTTP X-headers, and then see if I can figure out how to set the
SSL_* env vars from those. At least then it's transparent to the
applications on the backend servers, even if it's not quite
transparent to the server itself.

Thanks.
-Brian

Key Id: 0x3AA70848