Re: Client certificate authentication on tunneling proxy

Igor Cicimov wrote:
So you are trying to connect to port 80 on the server not 443? The SSL host listens to 443 so what do you expect to happen when you connect to port 80 as shown in your test? Have you redirected the port 80 to 443 in your configuration or what?

I am trying to connect to apache through SSL (port 443) and tell it to create a tunnel to some other server listening on port 80. I tried the same for target port 443 as well. The actual protocol between client and target is not important - I want apache to establish a tunnel. This works well when apache is running in plain HTTP (not HTTPS) mode.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_tunnel

You have also mentioned client certificates so have you tried importing that certificate in some browser and test the connection?

I have not tried fiddling with client certificates yet. There is no point in trying it if apache is not working even without them. My understanding that client certificate verification is possible only through an SSL connection. That's why I am trying to make apache run in HTTPS mode for proxying.