Re: RewriteRule and VirtualDocumentRoot: How do they interract ?

Le jeudi 14 janvier 2010 19:53:09, Eric Covener a écrit :
> On 1/14/10, Thomas Preud'homme <thomas.preudhomme@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> >  === Context ===
> > What I don't understand is that after the substitution,
> >  apache look for the file by prepending document_root (/htdocs on my
> > server) to the substitution. But I use VirtualDocumentRoot and no
> > DocumentRoot so that my files are usually accessed via the value of
> > VirtualDocumentRoot.
>
> See the PT flag + using a URL-path in your substitution instead of a
> filesystem path.
I thought RewriteRule with a full URL path was striping the http://server part
(I get it from the doc). So what is the difference with only matching the
remaining part of the URL ? The result of the rule I wrote is a valid URL if
prepended by http://myserver

> PT is implicit in per-directory.  It's what allows "other" modules to
> to a URL->filesystem mapping, otherwise they don't see the output of
> your rewrite.

From the doc :

This flag is just a hack to enable post-processing of the output of RewriteRule
directives, using Alias, ScriptAlias, Redirect, and other directives from
various URI-to-filename translators

If I understand well (correct me if I'm wrong), after RewriteRule has applied,
the result is understood as a file path, that's why others directives (such as
Alias, Redirect and so on) don't apply on the result. But why is the
DocumentRoot prepended to the result, is it because it's in the core apache
and not a module ?

I don't use any of this directives in this vhost (I use them but only for
other vhost) for the moment. Is it also valid for handling VirtualDocumentRoot
?

Sorry for all my questions, I'd rather understand mechanisms that just making
the change and miss something important.

Best regards,

Thomas Preud'homme

P.S. : This mailing list system should set X-Mailing-List mail header to allow
proper reply to the list with good MUA