Re: LimitRequestBody not dropping connections

Nick Kew wrote:
> Firefox probably asked for a keepalive connection.  Your telnet didn't.

I did set KeepAlive to 'off' in httpd.conf when testing; not sure what
difference this would make.

> Is your backend script being passed the oversized request,
> or is it just an issue of keeping the connection alive?

I've tested this just now and it turns out that it isn't. So it seems
to be an issue with the connection only.

> Could it be that you're getting an immediate response, but
> Firefox isn't telling you immediately?

That seems likely, since with Opera the upload is canceled immediately
if the Content-Length header is too large. Apparently, Opera is about
the only browser that checks for a response before it's finished
sending a request, so the difference in behavior makes sense.

I was expecting LimitRequestBody to close the connection if the limit
was exceeded, so that users of other browsers  would at least not be
waiting too long for an error message, even if the error they get
isn't a proper 413. However, I understand that the LimitRequestBody
directive may simply not be designed to do this, in which case there
would appear to be no bug(let).

thanks for the response,
Alex