Re: Mod_Rewrite voodoo

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 5:47 PM, Reese <howell.r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 07-Jan-10 12:24, Tom Evans wrote:
>
>> "RewriteEngine Off" disables the rewrite engine, so that rewrite rules
>> are not applied. Seems unlikely that is what you intended.
>
> It would appear that, by removing the "RewriteEngine Off" line,
> the bits on the prior 3 lines now work as expected and intended.
>
> I'd still like to hear more on why that is so.
>
> Testing starts anew.
>
> Reese

Each directive is fully described in the docs, available online and
installed as part of apache.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_rewrite.html#rewriteengine

The first line is edifying:

"The RewriteEngine directive enables or disables the runtime rewriting
engine. If it is set to off this module does no runtime processing at
all. It does not even update the SCRIPT_URx  environment variables."

Cheers

Tom