Re: ETag (entity tag) response header not being added to server side include's

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 5:50 PM, Geoff Millikan <gmillikan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I think this is a long-standing limitation, since the etag can't be
>> easily precomputed for the overall response (all the included stuff
>> smushed together from potential exec's, etc)
>
> I understand however the FileETag documentation doesn't even *hint* at such
> a limitation.

It should more clearly state that it generates ETags for static files
only. The resource in question is not really a static file.

> By comparison, mod_disk_cache has no problem reading all the SSI stuff
> together and then caching the page (as long as "include virtual" is used).
> I think if mod_disk_cache can do it then so can FileETag.

The cache doesn't know the full contents of the response until it's
all been written to the client via the output filters.  You can't
calculate headers at the end of a response and still use them.

> (For that matter,
> FileETag could generate its Etag off the cached document!)

It's not a file.

--
Eric Covener
covener@xxxxxxxxx