Intermittent PHP network connection errors, restart fixes it. What's the cause?

Hi - At the top of my php scripts, I have code to connect to our ldap server,
in order for the scripts to make ldap requests.  I don't have any disconnect
call in my code.  Lately I have noticed that the apache server will get into a
state where connection requests will occasionally fail.  When I refresh the
page, the connection almost always succeeds on the 2nd attempt.   If I restart
the apache server, the problem totally goes away for a long period of time.
So I assume that somewhere, something is causing connections to stay opened
when the script ends, rather than automatically closing them.

This error occurs with other types of network connections that the script
makes (besides ldap), so it's not an ldap issue.

How does Apache automatically close connections?  Is there any way to debug
the problem, i.e. to see if connections are left opened in some way?

I'm running redhat 5, httpd-2.2.3-31.el5_4.2

Thanks. - Mark