Re: Code coverage while running web server

Krist van Besien wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 1:30 AM, Guruprasad JG <guruprasad.jg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I am referring to the Apache code written in C. I would like to see if all
>> the paths are exercised for - request processing, resource management,
>> connection pooling, and configuration directives of the apache core. This
>> would be more like functional testing of apache.
>
> I think you'll have to explain to us what you exactly mean with
> checking that "all the paths are exercised". I have no clue how to
> "exercise paths" in any context, and I do consider my knowledge of the
> English language quite substantial. Maybe you should rephrase your
> question.
> If you just want to know what goes on inside Apache when a request is
> processed than you can ofcourse run it in a debugger. Will be slow,
> though. Make sure the timeout in whatever client you use is high
> enough.

This is a common phrase in software engineering.  The only solution to
achieve code coverage is to instrument httpd with a code coverage tool,
and test it.

See the http://httpd.apache.org/test/ page and the repository at
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/httpd/test/framework/trunk/ for the test
framework of httpd.  Patches to increase code coverage would be welcome.

You will not achieve 100% on a single box, due to the platform differences
in the code paths.