In Reverse Proxy + Error Document, How Do You Get The Original Request?

I have Apache 2.2 set up as a reverse proxy, forwarding POST’ed packets to an internal server, getting the response, and sending it back.  Everything works fine when no errors occur.  To handle HTTP 500 error codes, I have configured ProxyErrorOverride to replace the internal server’s page with our own custom error.  A Perl CGI script does that.  And it works mostly fine.

But it looks like I have no access to the original packet.  I’d like to log that request and send alerts.  I have a lot of info available for the original packet: for example $ENV{‘Content-Length’} returns the size of it.  But when I try to read STDIN  to get the actual content sent by the POST, like a regular ErrorDocument could do for locally-served CGI, I get nothing .

Any way around this?