Enabling Server Side Includes in Apache2.2

Can anyone help a new user of Apache2.2?  I’m trying to enable SSI on the server but don’t seem to

be having much luck.  I’ve looked on google and in the FAQ and put into place what seems to be fairly

straightforward edits but it never works.  Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Here’s what I put in my httpd.conf file:

<Directory "/var/www/html">

    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes

    AllowOverride None

    Order allow,deny

    Allow from all

    AddType text/html .html

    AddOutputFilter INCLUDES .html

    AddType text/html .htm

    AddOutputFilter INCLUDES .htm

</Directory>

I also tried experimenting with the XBitHack directive but it didn’t help either.  Beginning to wonder if

my HTML code to include is just not in the right format.  It did work when I ran this webserver on

Windows 2003 Server but perhaps it’s not compatible with Apache/Linux.  Here is the line I’m looking

to include:

<!-- #include file="game.htm" -->

I have a bunch of galleries of images in a directory structure in /var/www/html.  Do you have to define

each and every one in the httpd.conf file?  I tried doing that for one gallery but it didn’t work either.

Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

Greg