Questions about implementing SSL/VirtualHosts

Background info: My company's server's Apache is currently configured without Virtual Hosts. Which means any request in the *.example.com (example.com is a placeholder here) domain, that is not specifically setup on our public DNS, will be directed to our web server and any other DNS hack that points to our public IP, for that matter (i.e. adding it to the host file). I.e. dan.example.com, example.com, www.example.com all show the same site with a few minor differences written in the code that resides in DocumentRoot.

My company is wanting to keep this configuration for port 80 and add an SSL certificate for just the www.example.com and example.com hostnames. Is it possible to have Virtualhosts for just the 443 port and still allow *.example.com to react the same way it does now? Or will I have to add a VirtualHost for every subdomain? If this is possble, what would my httpd.conf configuration look like? Please let me know if you need more information.

Thank you in advance,
Dan Schaefer
Web Developer/Systems Analyst
Performance Administration Corp.