mod_cache caching cluster

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has run across a means consolidating or clustering their cache?  Currently we have 20 nodes that only serve up static content.  Each node is configured with a 6G ramdisk (mod_disk_cache).  This works *ok* except for a couple issues.  1) We experience intermittent performance issues (it seems to happen when htcacheclean kicks off), and 2) the cache varies from machine to machine.

I was digging around with mod_memcache - I really like the idea but 1) it doesn't look like it's actively developed, and 2) I can't seem to get the caching to do what I want.  I was also briefly looking at JCS - but that maybe a little overkill?

I could have the content stored on a shared NFS mount but I wanted to stay away from disk-based caching if I could.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas I'd appreciate it greatly.

Matt