HTTPS connections via mod_proxy ProxyRemote don't work

Hi all,

I am using Apache as a reverse proxy (primarily because we use
mod_substitute, mod_heads to add Firefox CSS fixes to a web
application provided by a third party for our users). Essentially its
setup as a VirtualHost that reverse proxies the requests to the
external site.

The complication is that this reverse proxy sits in our corporate
network and all external traffic goes through a Squid proxy server. I
am routing the reverse proxy traffic through squid using the
ProxyRemote directive and all works well for HTTP connections.

The external web site has switched to HTTPS and now when I try and
proxy the connection over HTTPS it says

The timeout specified has expired: proxy: HTTPS: attempt to connect ...
ap_proxy_connect_backend disabling worker for (...

Any ideas if I need to do something special when using ProxyRemote and HTTPS?

Thanks.

--
"The secret impresses no-one, the trick you use it for is everything"
- Alfred Borden (The Prestiege)