Re: Reverse proxying is problematic

Robert Schenck wrote:
*I know this is a long read...but I really need help, and felt the best way
for anyone to help me remotely is to explain the issues in their entirety. *

Hello,

I'm trying to set a reverse proxy, but first, some context:

My office is subscribed to few academic journals. These journals verify the
subscription via IP, such that anyone connected to the internet through our
connection can access the journals. However, some individuals would like to
access the journals away from the office as well.

Hi.
I know that there is already a long list of answers to this, at the technical level. And you were right to provide some background like you did above.

Before solving the problem at the technical level, I would /strongly/ recommend getting in touch with the publishers of these journals, and talk to them about your idea (or your boss' idea) first. This is just in case one of them would object, and consider that by doing this you are violating the commercial agreement your office has with them, and your office thus becomes a target for a copyright infringement lawsuit. Publishers, who live from these copyright fees, tend to not joke about such matters.

Background :

A publisher made a contract with your office, whereby a certain number of people have access to a certain number of published journal articles, against a flat fee. That flat fee replaces, under certain circumstances, a per-article, per-person fee which would normally have to be paid. The number of people to which this arrangement applies, and the corresponding fee, is estimated by the supplier on the base of some reasonable number of users. This number of users is limited, approximately, by the number of people which the supplier roughly calculated would be accessing these articles from within your corporate network, and would thus look like originating from the IP address of your firewall/proxy.

Your scheme would basically break the assumptions of the supplier, by potentially providing access to an uncontrolled number of people from outside of the network for which these assumptions were calculated.
The supplier may get very unhappy about this.

On the other hand, a case such as you describe is not that uncommon, and I am sure that the suppliers of these articles have other solutions available, which do not contravene the commercial agreements.