Re: how to get multiple SSL with name based vhost ?

Krist van Besien wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 5:11 AM, J. Bakshi <joydeep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I have multiple name based vhost at my remote server.  If I followed the
>> same configuration for SSL and  it does not work. Even not found any
>> code through google which acn do the job.   I have found it is possible
>> to define only one name based vhost with SSL support.  Is there any
>> tricks to configure multiple vhosts with SSL ? Kindly show me the way.
>>

> This is probably one of the most asked question on this list...
> For a long time the answer to the problem was "you can't". The problem
> is that in order to know from which virtual host to serve content a
> webserver must inspect the "host" header. This is part of the http
> request. However the SSL handshake takes place before any http request
> is initiated. In order to complete the handshake the webserver needs
> to know which SSL certificate to use. Since the websever can't yet
> know which virtual host content is being requested from it uses the
> certificate of the first host.
> It's really a limit of the protocol, not the server.
>
> However the latest version of the HTTPS protocol includes SNI, which
> permits a client to transmit to the host the name of the virtualhost
> it wants to contact during the SSL handshake. So what you need to do
> is make sure you have the very latest apache, compiled with the latest
> openssl libraries, and use a recent webbrowser. Than you will be able
> to do this.
>
> Krist

Hello Krist,

Thanks for your nice explanatory  response.  The server where my apache
is running is based on opensuse 11.0 . Hence I don't think this box can
support SNI. As this is a production server I can't simply upgrade the
box. So I need some other alternative. Thanks to make me familiar with SNI

--
জয়দীপ বক্সী