When it rains it pours...

So I get a call from one of our developpers. Turns out that the "UT"
interface wasn't working properly anymore. The UT interface is
basically a SOAP service running on a Tomcat instance. The purpose it
to allow smartphones to do things like get Call History etc.. by
sending Soap requests to this interface. Recently the functionality of
this service has been extended to provide for a new type of nifty
fix-line phone with touch screen that Swisscom wants to inflict on the
market next year.
But anyway. It had become sluggish, and the usual solution is to just
bounce the Tomcat.
So I log in and do:
sudo /etc/init.d/tomcat5 stop.
I press enter and then the power in the office fails...

Lasted an hour before we had power and network back, and I could ssh
back in to the server in order to start the tomcat again...

I am going to look in to making the whole UT interface more robust.
And we are also looking in to getting a UPS for our coffeemachine,
because not being able to have a coffee when an outage condems you to
unproductivity is next to unbearable...

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@xxxxxxxxx