From: "John J. Consolati" <consolati1@xxxxxxxx> [mailto:"John J.
Consolati" <consolati1@xxxxxxxx>]
Sent: 25 November 2009 17:23
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  SSL on Apache 2.2.14

Hello,

Hopefully someone will be able to help, as I've been working on this
problem for quite a while and have hit a wall. I'm trying to upgrade
Apache 2.0.47 to 2.2.14, and I need SSL support. Everything seems to
build and compile okay, but when I try to access my site running on
2.2.14, I get a strange error from Firefox: "Secure connection
failed. An error occurred during a connection to xxxxxx. SSL peer
reports incorrect Message Authentication Code. (Error code:
ssl_error_bad_mac_alert)."

I've tried compiling with OpenSSL 0.9.8L and 0.9.8G with the same
results. This is hosted on a Solaris sparc box. The 2.2.14 server is
utilizing all the same files and SSL certificates as the 2.0.47
server. I've called Verisign; I have valid certificates, but they've
never heard of this error before. If I self-sign a certificate and
test it with the 2.2.14 server, it seems to work (except for the
expected error message regarding self-signed certificates).

Searching on Google has led me to try forcing Apache to compile with
prefork enabled (but it seems to default to that anyway on Solaris).
I've also tried statically linking Apache during compile with the same
results.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'd very much appreciate them...
Thank you,
John