CGI Apache Directive: LimitRequestLine

Title: CGI Apache Directive: LimitRequestLine

Hi, I'm hoping that you can help me with an issue we have come across regarding some new development we're doing around the use of CGI Apache web services.

I work in the Systems department for Premier Farnell (Leeds), we had an in-house course a while back that was presented by Paul Tuohy..  this was intended to give us an insight into CGI Apache and what it could do for our business... hence this email now.

Our problem is this... we want to provide a web service that will provide a real time data link between our AS400 and web sites... we have achieved this without a problem using a url "get" request to the CGI Apache server on the AS400.

However, the problem we have stumbled onto is the maximum size of the query string that we can use... this is limited to 8190 bytes... I believe this is a "Directive" constraint in Apache called: LimitRequestLine

We understand that there isn't such a limit using a "post" request but before we re-develop everything we have done we wanted to make sure that there wasn't anything we could do to get around the constraint I have just mentioned. We would be looking at a maximum size more in the region of 32k.

I'd be very grateful if you could me what the "correct" course of action should be to resolve this problem please?

Regards, Andy.

      A Premier Farnell Company

***************************Disclaimer***************************

The contents of this e-mail and any file transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  The content may also contain legal, professional or other privileged information. If you received this e-mail in error, please destroy it immediately.  You should not copy or use it for any purpose nor disclose its contents to any other person. The views stated herein do not necessarily represent the view of the Company.

Please ensure you have adequate virus protection before you open or detach any documents from this transmission. The Company does not accept any liability for  viruses.

Premier Farnell plc
150 Armley Road
Leeds
LS12 2QQ
Telephone +44 (0) 870 129 8608
Fax +44 (0) 870 129 8610

Registered in England
Company Number 876412
Registered Office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE