Re: Name virtual hosts and HTTPS

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 1:22 PM, Florent Georges <darkman_spam@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Peter Schober wrote:
>
>  Thanks all for your responses!
>
>> Or put all vhosts in the certificate (as X.509v3 SubjectAltName
>> extensions) and serve up the same cert on every vhost.
>
>  Yes, that's what I started to think after have seen the other responses.
>
>> How you put these in the CSR is not part of this list and
>> depends on your CA (some require to put all hostnames in the CN,
>> i.e. multi-valued CNs, others require to stick these in the
>> v3 extension.)
>
>  Well, I must admit I am not familiar with this vocabulary: CSR, CA, CN?
>
>  Thanks again,
>
> --
> Florent Georges
[snip]

CSR - Certificate Signing Request, the thing you send to a certificate
authority to request a certificate from them.
CA - The certificate authority who signs your certificate.
CN - Common Name, the thing that identifies the entity to whom the
cert belongs. For web sites, this is the exact domain name of your
website, other wise the client will complain.

Thanks to all for the follow up to my response, I had no idea there
were so many ways to do this. I just spent a few hours a couple of day
ago upgrading to 2.2.14 so I could do exactly this.

-Brian

Key Id: 0x3AA70848
Available from: http://keys.gnupg.net