Can mod_proxy authenticate against another proxy (squid) server?

Hi all,

I am trying to setup a reverse proxy inside our corporate network to
proxy an external web site. We wish to modify parts of the content
before we send it down the line to our users. We have a proof of
concept working and have managed to use mod_substitute to change what
we need to in the content. Currently my Apache server is connected
directly to the Internet.

As most corporate networks, our production environment has a firewall
to access content from the outside world. Ideally I would like my
Apache server to sit inside the network. To do this I need Apache
(reverse proxy) to authenticate against our squid proxy server to
fetch the content.

Can mod_proxy authenticate and route its request against squid or
another proxy server?

Thanks.

--
"The secret impresses no-one, the trick you use it for is everything"
- Alfred Borden (The Prestiege)