Re: crash in Apache core with mod_proxy_fcgi in 2.2 and trunk

 Phone

----- Original Message -----
From: Nicholas.Kew@xxxxxxx <Nicholas.Kew@xxxxxxx>
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri Nov 20 08:58:16 2009
Subject: Re:  crash in Apache core with mod_proxy_fcgi in 2.2 and trunk

Edgar Frank wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>
> thanks for you instant reply.
>
>> mod_proxy_fcgi is not really ready for primetime.  You should only
>> use it if you're expecting to hack/debug it, and preferably feed back
>> your experiences/fixes.
> That's good to know. I saw mod_proxy_fcgi being relatively old. When it
> was added into the SVN trunk it looked much like a copy of the formerly
> existing mod_proxy_fcgi. So I expected it to be kinda stable.

Hmmm.  I may have been wrong; it's just my impression that
mod_proxy_fcgi had essentially been abandoned.

> What would be then the right place/person to report feedback to?

dev@httpd and/or bugzilla.  But that depends on someone who's
actually worked on it being motivated to respond, and mod_fcgid
reduces the likelihood of that happening.

dev@httpd.

> The prime reason for me to use mod_proxy_fcgi is that mod_fcgid doesn't
> offer a possibility to specify an externally spawned FCGI process on
> a remote host. The other reason is that I need the env-var interpolation
> respectivly mod_rewrite-capabilities to change the target FCGI server
> depening on request data (e.g. forward a well-known user to his "home"
> server).
> mod_proxy_fcgi is perfect for me, because it's small, doesn't come with
> a process manager and allows dynamic configuration of the target server.

Now that makes sense - and indeed ties into something I'm trying to
work towards (but don't expect anything exciting anytime soon).
Posting something based on that to dev@ might be more productive than
a long/rambling report that you have to read in detail before confirming
it looks like a bug (as opposed to a user error).

> If I missed that features in mod_fcgid, I'd be glad if you could let me
> know.
>
> There is still mod_fastcgi on my mind, but I'd have to modify it to
> work for my purpose and it's code is horrible in terms that it still
> has support for Apache 1.x.

If mod_fastcgi has capabilities that are missing in mod_fcgid and
that you have a use for, that may be worth turning into a feature
request.

--
Nick Kew