Re: crash in Apache core with mod_proxy_fcgi in 2.2 and trunk

Hi Nick,

thanks for you instant reply.

> mod_proxy_fcgi is not really ready for primetime.  You should only
> use it if you're expecting to hack/debug it, and preferably feed back
> your experiences/fixes.
That's good to know. I saw mod_proxy_fcgi being relatively old. When it
was added into the SVN trunk it looked much like a copy of the formerly
existing mod_proxy_fcgi. So I expected it to be kinda stable.

What would be then the right place/person to report feedback to?

> Reading what you've sent, it would be a useful bug report to
> someone interested in mod_proxy_fcgi, *IF* that module had
> reached the stage where its expected to work (e.g. an alpha
> test release).
Okay thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

> As it stands, there's no great likelihood of that happening unless
> someone makes it happen.  Since mod_fcgid has been donated
> to apache, that's now the focus of fastcgi work among the devs.
>
> My best suggestions:
> (1) Enter a report in bugzilla
> (2) If you really want proxy_fcgi and not mod_fcgid, tell us what
> you need that the one offers but the other doesn't.

For (2), what would be again the right place to report?

The prime reason for me to use mod_proxy_fcgi is that mod_fcgid doesn't
offer a possibility to specify an externally spawned FCGI process on
a remote host. The other reason is that I need the env-var interpolation
respectivly mod_rewrite-capabilities to change the target FCGI server
depening on request data (e.g. forward a well-known user to his "home"
server).
mod_proxy_fcgi is perfect for me, because it's small, doesn't come with
a process manager and allows dynamic configuration of the target server.

If I missed that features in mod_fcgid, I'd be glad if you could let me
know.

There is still mod_fastcgi on my mind, but I'd have to modify it to
work for my purpose and it's code is horrible in terms that it still
has support for Apache 1.x.

Regards,
Edgar