Re: Just curious on SPDY

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 6:15 AM, Mike Cardwell
<apache-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Kamaraj, Jayakumar wrote:
>
>>            Just curious to know whether  Google announcement on SPDY
>> http://blog.chromium.org/2009/11/2x-faster-web.html needs change only in
>> Apache web server side or even needs change in application point of view
>> also.          Sorry to spam you guys .
>
> Both the server and the client would need to be updated in order to take
> advantage of it. If one or both don't support it, then the fallback would be
> normal HTTP.
>
> --
> Mike Cardwell - IT Consultant and LAMP developer
> Cardwell IT Ltd. (UK Reg'd Company #06920226) http://cardwellit.com/
> Technical Blog: https://secure.grepular.com/blog/
[clip]

Yes, SPDY is a new protocol which will require both the server and
client to support in order for it to work. However, from a user
perspective, I believe the goal is for it to be transparent. In other
words, if your browser and the web server it's talking to both support
SPDY, they will figure that out and use it. If either of them don't
support it, they'll just use plain old HTTP. Either way, you won't see
the difference as a user other than the potential speed benefits.

Just to be clear, SPDY is far from being a new web-standard. Right
now, it's just a research project Google is undertaking: I think it's
going to be quite a while (a year at minimum) before any one (other
than Google, at least) thinks seriously about deploying it. But that's
just my $0.02.

-Brian

Key Id: 0x3AA70848
Available from: http://keys.gnupg.net