Re: http redirection to httpd

sangfroid wrote:
 Hi John,

Thank you for the reply. I also found one more way to do it ...

Added the following directive in httpd.conf

<Location /private>
   RewriteEngine On
   ReWriteCond %{HTTPS} !=on
   RewriteRule .* https://%{HTTP_HOST}:443%{REQUEST_URI} [QSA,R=permanent,L]
</Location>

However, now the problem is, I also needed the users to authenticate by
htaccess file. But keeping .htaccess file in /var/www/html/private is not
working. I mean in that case, first the system asks password in an unsecured
mechanism and then only https redirection is working. I wanted just the
reverse...first establish secure connection and then  only ask the user for
password...

Any clue on it ??
Then you will probably have to create 2 VirtualHost, and place your authentication in the HTTPS host.

Listen *:80
Listen *:443
<VirtualHost *:80>
  your HTTP host config