AJP Ports Mod_JK

Hi,
This is a conceptual question.

I am using the Mod_JK to set up Apache to talk to Tomact.
As per instructions, I put the AJP port of my tomcat in the
workers.properties file for my apache.

So my Apache only knows the tomcat AJP port, it does not know about Tomcat
HTTP port. Or does it?

Does anyone know if the Apache communicates ever with the Tomcat HTTP Port?
Or does it only ever communicate with the AJP port?  Can you configure
apache to just use Tomcat Http port directly?

What would be the advantage / disadvantage?

Many thanks.