Apache Close-Wait ports issue

Hi All

Got an interesting problem which has occurred several times now..

Painting a brief picture ;

Several applications running on Tomcat 6.0.19 (64-bit) - several cluster groups

Backend SQL Server 2005 clustered DBs (several)

Front end Apache Web servers (2.2.9 with mod_jk 1.2.19), load balanced via secure network appliance

Basically, we have an issue with one of the DB clusters which stops servicing requests from the app servers

The app servers can continue to connect to remaining DB clusters OK.

The problem is that all the web servers stop responding to external requests.  Looking at the ports in use on each server, there are a number of established sessions between Apache and Tomcat, which seems OK.  All of the web servers also have exactly 30 close-wait sessions with the secure network appliance.  We think this is what is stopping any requests from being services by the web servers.  However, even trying to browse locally on each server to the root just times out.

We do not enforce keepalive or timeouts for TCP/HTTP, and we use practically all the defaults for these directives.  All web servers are configures identically.

I can't find any reference to a directive that may limit connections to 30.

Restarting the web servers allows users to get to applications using the good databases.  We have already upgraded one of the load balanced web servers to Apache 2.2.14 with mod_jk 1.2.28, and we intend to do the rest of the next few days.  Going through the changelogs there are one or two items that might have a bearing on the issue but nothing obvious.

Does anybody have any advice on this?

Cheers,

Darren.

Connaught plc is a FTSE 250 company. We are the UK's leading provider of integrated services operating in the compliance, social housing and public sector markets.

Please visit our website to see a full list of Connaught's Registered Companies http://www.connaught.plc.uk/group/aboutconnaught/registeredcompanies

Disclaimer:

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete this message. Connaught plc, Head Office 01392 444546