Help: HTTP response has wrong Content-Type field

We developed an Apache module. In the module, when we sent HTTP
response, Apache always changed the "Content-Type", sometimes this field
is correct, sometime it is truncated, sometimes with an invalid value.
We sent response back with the following function, and the response
header was always set properly.

int our_module_handler(request_rec *r)
{
	// process requests
	// prepare response
	ap_set_content_type(r, "application/user-config+xml");
	ap_send_http_header(r);
	ap_rwrite(..);
	return OK;
}

We added some logs before and after the above calls, and found the
content-type is always right. However, sometimes (not always), in the
response sent by Apache server, Content-Type will be changed to
something like "application/user-config" or
"application/user-config+xm", or some other values.

We are using MPM worker module. We tried Apache 2.2.8 and 2.2.14, both
of the versions had the problem. We can not determined that it is Apache
issue. If anyone ever encountered similar issue, we are very appreciated
your response.

Thanks.

Hongmei