Re: .htaccess files not working from internet? intranet access fine

Is your squid proxy set up to forward on the basic authentication headers? Doesn't sound like they are being sent to your browser

-----Original Message-----
From: Kaya Saman <SamanKaya@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 00:57:20
To: <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  .htaccess files not working from internet? intranet access fine
Hi,

this is my first post here :-)

basically I have google'd this issue a bit and finally realized that
there was no viable solution that I could deduce results from!

I have a few servers running apache and some folders which have
.htaccess files in them, I can access these from any network inside the
NAT of my router however when it comes down to external access from
outside the NAT I always get permission denied; authorized access only??

My systems are behind a reverse proxy handled by Squid but also after
Google'ing found that Squid doesn't care about .htaccess and doesn't
even know what it is.

Another page I read claimed that it could be an issue of IPS protection
system in the firewall - however iptables doesn't contain any config
only default and isn't even running I think only in conjunction with
fail2ban to prevent DoS attacks. My router, a Cisco 857W, also doesn't
have IPS at all and IDS isn't enabled.

Can anyone help me find a solution to this situation?? I have checked
the logs for httpd/access_log and error_log only to find nothing
mentioned about denying anything.....

Any recommendations are appreciated! Thanks

An example of one config file which is the config from Munin is here:

[code]
ScriptAlias /munin/cgi/ /var/www/munin/cgi/
#<Directory /var/www/munin/cgi/>
#   Options ExecCGI
#   SSLRequireSSL
#   order deny,allow
#   deny from all
#   AuthType Basic
#   AuthUserFile /site/cfg/passwd
#   AuthGroupFile /site/cfg/group
#   AuthName "munin"
#   require group munin
#   Satisfy Any
#</Directory>
#
Alias /munin/ /var/www/munin/
<Directory /var/www/munin/>
   Options None
#   SSLRequireSSL
   order deny,allow
   deny from all
   AuthType Basic
#   AuthUserFile /site/cfg/passwd
AuthUserFile /var/http-passwords
#   AuthGroupFile /site/cfg/group
#AuthGroupFile /var/http-group
#   AuthName "munin"
AuthName "Restricted Files"
#   require group munin
Require user admin
   Satisfy Any
</Directory>
[/code]

I followed the .htaccess example from the apache.org website and have a
single file where password/username is stored for multiple pages.....

Kaya