Re: how to get logs per vhosts ?

Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> On 22.09.09 17:30, J. Bakshi wrote:
>
>> In my linux server ( opensuse 11) , I am running apache with some
>> vhosts.  All the virtual-hosts are running well.  But the apache log
>> file is common for all the virtual hosts ; that is
>> /etc/var/log/apache/access.log.  How can I get per vhost log so that I
>> can use awstat  as well as monitor log for concerned vhost only ?
>>

> you can define CustomLog (or TransferLog) directive in each virtual host.
> However I don't recommend that one - many logfiles slows down starting and
> reloading apache since all log files need to be reopened.
>
> You also can't do it for dynamic virtual hosts, for that you need to log to
> a program that will split logs based on virtual host provided.
>
> BTW, awstats is able to extract virtual host logs from common log, so for
> awstats you don't need to use more logfiles.

I  appreciate your response. even I am also very much bother to provide
CustomLog as the server is hosting a no. of vhost.  Glad to know that
awstat can simply extract the required info from common log and no
special attention is required. still need the error/access log per vhost
which are very helpful when debugging is required.
Any idea/approach in that direction is very much welcome.

Thanks