Re: how do I *define* a default virtual host

On 16-Sep-2009, at 07:17, Geurts, G.P.T.M. wrote:
Hello,
Thanks for your reply!
I don't think it whould work for us.... we use ip based virtual hosting
so a virtualhost directive looks like <VitualHost 1.2.3.4:80>
What does the __default__  directive do anyways?

_default_ is useful. Say you have 20 IPs on a single machine, and 12 of those are assigned to various domains, but the other 8 are not.

Then you could have a _default_ directive AFTER all the other virtualhost directives, so that any IP address not previously set to a specific location would go to, say, your ecommerce page.

<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/examples.html>
_default_ vhosts for all ports
Catching every request to any unspecified IP address and port, i.e., an address/port combination that is not used for any other virtual host.

Server configuration

<VirtualHost _default_:*>
DocumentRoot /www/default
</VirtualHost>

Using such a default vhost with a wildcard port effectively prevents any request going to the main server.

A default vhost never serves a request that was sent to an address/ port that is used for name-based vhosts. If the request contained an unknown or no Host: header it is always served from the primary name- based vhost (the vhost for that address/port appearing first in the configuration file).

OTOH, _default_ is dangerous, and you have to be sure that it is the LAST directive as it stomps everything that follows it.

--
"Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?" "Why are you wearing that
	stupid man suit?"