Re: How does Transfer-Encoding: chunked work with CGI?

Nick Kew <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 09/11/2009 11:18:03 AM:

> Chris Cross wrote:
> > Nick Kew <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 09/11/2009 10:31:46 AM:
> >  > Hmmm.  That sounds buggish (dammit, it's a long time since I did
> >  > anything nontrivial with CGI).
> >  >
> >  > What Apache version, and what CGI implementation?
> >
> >  From my CGI env:
>
> That's not actually what I asked (many CGI implementations would
> give the same).  But it's probably enough to go on: a recent-
> enough apache release, probably prefork, and probably mod_cgi
> (any Ubuntu folks here know whether it could be something
> different without the server admin having made a conscious choice)?
>
> Quick sanity checks:
>
> (1) if your test script just reads to EOF, does it get the right
>      (de-chunked) inputs?
> (2) does it fail with any reasonably-standard CGI library?
>
> --
> Nick Kew

Nick,

1) Reading till EOF works fine. I'd gotten in the habit of using Content-Length in the non-chunked case so hadn't tried it until now. The "Transfer-Encoding: chunked" header is set. Is that proper if "de-chunking" has occurred?

2) I'm just doing C++ without any third party libraries.

So my test program is working now but I have another questions. Can you elaborate on what is a CGI implementation? I'm operating at the level of installing apache and POSTing to it and CGI is the part that calls my cgi script...

Thanks again
Chris