Re: [mod_dav] Apple Finder webdav client launch many GET requests when I explore a folder

Stéphane KLEIN wrote:

I write a WebDAV server in Python.
I found one issue with Apple Finder WebDAV client and I've noticed same
issue with Apache mod_dav server.

> Issue : when Finder explore a folder, Finder download the totaly of all
> files !

Your subject line is probably spot on the problem : if the Apple Finder WebDav client does that, then it is the Apple Finder WebDav client which has a serious problem, and it is not a problem of the server.

In any case, I use the Apache mod_dav module a lot, and I have never seen this issue, even with buggy Microsoft Dav clients.

I don't know who does all this GET requests ? Spotlight ?

Well, obviously the Apple Finder WebDav client, I guess.

Who does this request ?

See above.

How can I disable this transfert ?

Well, if the GET requests are really sent by the client, then probably you cannot, because otherwise you would also disable real GET requests from good clients, and that would make your Dav server pretty useless.

Do other people can test this issue ?

Probably not, unless they use the same Apple client.
You should try another Dav client, and see if it does the same.
If it does not, then throw away Apple Finder and use the better client.

What I am saying is : a GET request is the normal way for a Dav client to download a file, normally only when requested to do so. If your WebDav client sends GET requests (instead of HEAD) just to get information about the files, either it is a buggy Dav client, or you have not set it up correctly. Maybe there is some setting at the client side which tells it to always automatically do some sort of "synchronise" with the server ? If so, you should disable that, and your problem will probably disappear.