MaxRequestsPerChild and MaxKeepAliveRequests clarification

Hi all,

I'm running Apache 2.2.9 on a machine with 4G of RAM, and the server experiences about 100,000 hits a day, ~1G bandwidth and about 30,000 page requests.

It's running several instances of a large PHP web app so there are comparatively few users who between them request many pages each.

I'm trying to work out the optimal settings for the server - I used to have MaxRequestsPerChild set to 2000 and MaxKeepAliveRequests at 300 - but the server started swapping towards the end of each day.

I read somewhere that when the MaxKeepAliveRequests directive is set, each server will actually serve MaxKeepAliveRequests multiplied by MaxRequestsPerChild before it dies - which in my case was 600,000 requests. Is this indeed correct? I'm keen to make the best use of the memory but at present have set MRPC down to 300 and memory use has stabilised. Any advice on the optimal balance between the two settings would be very much appreciated,

thanks, Jon.

Current apache2.conf:

MaxKeepAliveRequests 300

KeepAliveTimeout 15