RE: Re: Low priced certificate?

If you have a "private" application (in the sense that server-owner and clients already know each other and only want to encrypt traffic), then of course you can use a self-signed cert. In this case you are getting encryption (protection from eavesdropping) but no authentication (which you don't care about because you already know each other).

The cause of much of the confusion is the fact that SSL certs provide *two* functions; they contain a key that allows you to set up an encrypted channel, but they also contain a document that attests the ownership of the domain. This second feature is essential in an e-commerce environment where the server and client are not known to each other a priori.

If you were a shopkeeper and wanted to send your takings off to the bank, you might request the bank to send round a security van. When the van arrives, would you check the driver's credentials? Obviously you should in case some crooks were tapping your phone line and had turned up first in a stolen van with fake uniforms. If you don't check the credentials, your money will be safe in transit, but might not actually be going to the bank :-)

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> It is my understanding that we could set up our own "certificate
> authority" (CA) and create our own server certificates.  A customer
> browser, upon the first connection, would pop up some message
> indicating
> that it cannot verify this certificate, and offering maybe to
> "authorise" our own CA as a valid one.  Once they did this, the popup
> would not happen again, and their communications with the
> website would
> be encrypted (which is the main point of the exercise).
>
> I understand that, in case their DNS system is compromised,
> they could
> land onto another website pretending to be ours, and thus accept this
> other website certificate and CA.
> But I consider this possibility as relatively unlikely, and easily
> detected by the customers themselves once they proceed. (*)
>
> Is anything wrong with the above thinking ?
>
> Thanks for comments.
>

> (*) because each customer application is specific, and in
> order to fool
> a customer, the miscreant would haver to duplicate this
> application, the
> data etc..

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message.
The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks.