Apache half-open socket behaviour

Hi apache-users

Platform: Solaris 10, Apache 2.2.11 compiled with Sun Studio 12, mod_jk 1.2.28

I have been having issues while using Apache with mod_jk (although I am not certain that mod_jk has anything to do with this)

I have noticed that I am getting a significant number of connections in server-status that are getting stuck in the W (sending reply) state.

Packet captures reveal that the client side is using keep-alives, and is sending several requests, the last of which is followed shortly afterwards (~250ms) by a FIN.  This would result in a half-closed connection which as I understand it will stay in this state until the application closes it, which will result in a FIN going back to the client.

It appears that httpd has already started to send data on the socket and then the TCP stack takes over to repeatedly try to deliver the reply.  No further responses come from the client and I have a packet capture to show that these connections are staying in this state for longer than the configured TimeOut value.

On occasion we are finding that all the children will get into this state and the only remedy is to forcibly shut down and restart the server.

It appears that from the TCP spec the client is not obliged to send a reply to the repeated retransmissions, so surely Apache should obey its TimeOut directive here and let go of the connection?  Or should I be waiting for the OS to time out the half-closed connection and kill it?

Thanks

Danny
This e-mail and any attached files are intended for the named addressee only. It contains information, which may be confidential and legally privileged and also protected by copyright. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify the sender immediately and then delete it from your system. Please be advised that the views and opinions expressed in this e-mail may not reflect the views and opinions of Associated Newspapers Limited or any of its subsidiary companies. We make every effort to keep our network free from viruses. However, you do need to check this e-mail and any attachments to it for viruses as we can take no responsibility for any computer virus which may be transferred by way of this e-mail. Use of this or any other e-mail facility signifies consent to any interception we might lawfully carry out to prevent abuse of these faciliti es.
Associated Newspapers Ltd. Registered Office: Northcliffe House, 2 Derry St, Kensington, London, W8 5TT. Registered No 84121 England.