AW: mod_proxy_balance: route redirect not working

Owen,
what exactly does "labelled" mean?
Can I think of it in our case as the request having a cookie JSESSIONID=<numbers>.tomcat1,
i.e. a suffix matching one of the configured workers?
If so, we completely misinterpreted the meaning of "redirect".

We are looking for a way to starve an instance: matching requests should still get routed to this instance (we have sticky sessions), but requests without a session must get routed to another instance.
If redirection in mod_proxy_balance does not work this way, what is the preferred way to smoothly fade out an instance?

Cheers
Jürgen