Re: Re: Apache workers DNS change question?

Jai wrote:
Apache is acting as a front end webserver and it sends requests to Jboss
application server. We have configured Jboss servers as a workers in apache
workers.properties file. We have specified Jboss host name in
workers.properties

Very good, so now we know something more : that you are using mod_jk as the Apache-to-JBoss Connector.
(Why is this kind of information always so hard to pry out of posters ?)

I believe that there was a thread on the Tomcat users forum, not so long ago (less than 6 months), which touched on this issue.
(The Tomcat users support list has a lot of messages about mod_jk).

The point is : if in your "workers.properties" file, you have something like this :

worker.ajp13.host=tomcat.mycompany.com

then it means that in order to pass the request to the correct host, mod_jk has to do at least one DNS lookup, to get the IP address of this host. Of course, it would be very inefficient to re-do this DNS lookup at each request, so it is done once, and the result is cached.

Of course if you change the IP address of Tomcat without letting mod_jk know, it is going to get confused. So you need a way to force mod_jk to re-do this DNS lookup.
I believe that doing an Apache httpd "graceful restart" would do it.

But do not take my word for it, and do a search on the Apache and Tomcat forums, using the words above. Some of the mailing list archives mentioned on their respective website homepages are searchable.

Now, I do have a question however :
You cannot just "change the IP address" of a Tomcat's host dynamically, can you ? So what's exactly the point of this whole exercise ?