Re: How to see/use the response when the apache server is down.

Assuming your definition of "down" is "not responding", there is no way for the server to respond with any kind of status code. Your customer's browsers will generally give them a message of some kind that it couldn't contact the server , however as the web administrator you have no visibility or control over that in any way - if your server is down, you won't get the requests.

You could also investigate a server farm, or clustering, or load balancing, or any number of other ways to keep your web site visible, but they are all more complicated; there is no way to reply "I'm dead, sorry" from a single instance of Apache.

hugh

Chintan Kachhi wrote:
I have installed apache http server version 2.2 on my local machine. I am trying to write an apache rewrite module for the case when the apache server is down. When the server is down, I need to redirect to a custom error page. Does anyone know how can I apply this condition. So for starters, how can I know if the server is down? Is there a status code that is returned when the server is down while I am trying to hit it, and if so, how do I see that http status code that is returned?

--
Hugh Williams                  "There are two things to aim for in life;
hugh_williams@xxxxxxxxxxx       first, to get what you want; and after that,