Re: mod_filter newbie

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 03:26:03PM -0700, Nick Kew wrote:
> Ray Van Dolson wrote:
>
> > Both blocks work, but I'm thinking I could potentially end up calling
> > gzdeflate on data that wasn't originally compressed.  Maybe someone can
> > clarify:
>
> Yep, your config looks OK to me.  Where's the problem compressing
> data that didn't start out compressed (or vice versa)?
>
> >   - Does each member of a FilterChain get called regardless?  For
> >     example:
> >
> >       text/html (uncompressed) doesn't match on the gzinflate line, but
> >       would one he next two.  I'd end up with compressed output that
> >       wasn't originally compressed.
>
> Yep.
>
> >   - If so, should I set an environment variable if Content-Encoding =
> >     gzip and then have my gzdeflate provider check for it instead of
> >     operating blindly on all text/* ?
>
> Why?

I was envisioning a case where a browser with no support for
decompressing was given compressed data as a result of my config.  It
sounds like mod_deflate would prevent this from happening however?

My original thinking was that the inflate step wouldn't be called if the
data wasn't already compressed by IIS (as the result of a client
specifically asking for uncompressed content), but that I'd end up
delivering compressed content to the client anyways because of my last
two directives.  Sounds like I am worrying needlessly however.

> >     Or maybe some way to check if the request we're responding to had
> >     Accept-Encoding gzip set?
>
> Aha!  That's a different question.  mod_deflate has that logic built in
> (and has done since before mod_filter existed).  See force-gzip in the
> docs.

Excellent.

> Couple of other points.  First, inflate - substitute - deflate is
> a lot of computation, so if you can cache it (e.g. with mod_cache)
> you could get much better performance.  Second, you may want to
> look at expression evaluation in apache: mod_filter in 2.3 and
> up (but not in 2.2.x) can evaluate complex expressions to
> determine whether to run a filter.

Unfortunately using the 2.2.x series still.  Fortunately this is not a
very busy site, but I'll look into the mod_cache route.

Thanks for the reply,

Ray