Re: Performing Internal Certificate Checks

It was thus said that the Great Eldad Chai once stated:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Apache reverse proxy.
>
> I want to perform the following and wondering if it is possible:
>
> 1)      Extract a field (Subject Name) from a client certificate sent over
> SSL and compare it to a local list I have
>
> 2)      Add parts of the certificate to headers or parameters in the HTTP
> request to the backend server

  1) How is the local list stored?  My current configuration on my secure
server for client certificates looks like:

 <Directory /home/spc/web/sites/secure.conman.org/s-htdocs/library>
    SSLRequireSSL
    SSLRequire  %{SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_O}  eq "Conman Laboratories"  \
            and %{SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_OU} eq "Clients"
    SSLVerifyClient     require
    SSLVerifyDepth      10
  </Directory>

Translated:  This directory requires a certificate with an organization of
"Conman Laboratories", with a department of "Clients" can access, otherwise,
fail the request.  I'm sure there are other methods, but I haven't
investigated them.

  2) I'm guessing something based on the following (I haven't played around
much with web proxies, but this might get you on the right track):

	RewriteEngine	On
	RewriteBase	/wherever

	RewriteRule	^(.*)$ proxyrequest?user=%{SSL:SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_CN}&group=%{SSL:SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_OU} [PL]

  Basically, you can use any of the SSL environment variables [1] can be
passed as part of a URI (CGI scripts will find them as environment
variables).  Hope this points you in the right direction at least.

  -spc

[1]	A bunch are listed here:
	http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_ssl.html