RE: How to detect a non-graceful restart of Apache

The simplest way is probably to monitor the error_log (eg, with a
perl-script running under cron). If there is a stop; you get a SIGTERM
in the log. For a restart; there is a SIGHUP. For a graceful; no
signals, just a message.

Alternatively, if you have mod_server_status, you could poll it. The
server uptime is reset to zero if there is a stop/start or restart, but
keeps ticking if there is a graceful.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message.
The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks.