Re: HTTP server scalability

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 12:41 AM, Sean Conner<spc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It was thus said that the Great Vinay Nagrik once stated:
>> Thank you Andrew and Tom,
>>
>> Thank you for your insightful replies.  These have definitely helped me in
>> understanding the major issues.
>>
>> At this moment I can not understand "How a 'Connecton' is passed from parent
>> process to child process."
>>
>> My understanding is
>>
>> "a connection is a combination of (IP address + port.) and the parent
>> process listens at one such address or multiple such addresses in virtual
>> host interfaces."
>>
>> Let us assume the parent process is listening to only one such address i.e.
>> (IP address + port).  Then if this connection is passed to the child then
>> this connection must be blocked and this is the only connection which will
>> be multiplexed among several child processes as welll parent process.  My
>> point is that concurrency can not be achieved on a single connection (IP
>> address + port) unless I am missing something fundemental about the
>> definition of "Connection."
>>
>> Secondly if a connection is passed to the child then once again the child
>> process will have to make a three way handshake to the original client to
>> service the request.
>>
>> I hope Andrew or someone from the group can clear my doubts.
>
>  This is for Unix and Unix-like operating systems.  Your milage will vary
> with other operating systems.
>
>  When Apache starts, it creates a listening TCP socket.  In the kernel,
> this socket will look something like:
>
>        protocol localhost      port    remotehost      remoteport
>           TCP   192.168.1.23   80      0.0.0.0         0
>
>  In other words, a half connected socket (in reality, the localhost portion
> can also be 0.0.0.0, which means listen on all interfaces that support an IP
> address, but for the sake of argument, let's say we only want Apache to
> listen on a particular interface).  The code to create this typically (if
> not spread out) looks like:
>
>        struct sockaddr addr;
>        int             sock;
>
>        /*
>         * this creates space for a TCP socket
>         */
>
>        sock = socket(AF_INET,SOCK_STREAM,0);
>
>        /*
>         * fill in the address we want to to listen in on
>         * is not quite this way, but the actual details
>         * would only get in the way ...
>         */
>
>        addr.family = AF_INET;
>        addr.host   = 192.168.1.23
>        addr.port   = 80;
>
>        /*
>         * now, connect the address/port to the socket
>         * we just created
>         */
>
>        bind(sock,&addr,sizeof(addr));
>
>  So now we have our side of the socket created (see above).  Now, onto real
> work.  Apache (and I'm assuming the pre-fork version here) will create the
> children processes to handle actual requests.  This is done via the fork()
> [...]

Kickass! Sean and Andre, thank you so much for the excellent
descriptions.  As someone who has done only a little C a decade ago,
you've done an awesome job of explaining how Apache works at just the
right level and in terms that are understandable and informative.   I
don't have anything to add, just wanted you all to know your effort is
greatly appreciated.