Close apache console from XP/2003/Vista

Hi All,

This is my first post to this mailing list, I have tried searching for an answer in the archives and on google with no luck.

Background: We currently have a web server application that we sell comercially, we are currently rewriting this and have gone down the ISAPI route. To make things easier for our customers we ship a light weight installation of Apache so they can easilly evaluate the software before changing the configuration on thier existing server (IIs/Apache). We have a config tool, when the user starts the "test server" from this tool we run apache. It works really well, we use piped logs to keep eveything on screen and our config tool acts as a debugger for apache so we get the benefit of windows killing apache if the config tool is killed etc.

My question is this: how can I gracefully close apache? The docs say to use "httpd -k stop" but on our target platforms this always tries to stop the service but we are actually running as a console. There is mention of using kill on unix but I cannot find a suitable windows equivilant.

Currently, we create a remote thread in apache's process and call ExitProcess. This does a semi-clean shutdown but doesn't do things like clean up the pid file which leads to warnings when we next start the server.

Any help appreciated,
Thanks,
Matt